Great places to eat in Indianapolis
Indianapolis, the capital of Indiana, is home to a thriving culinary scene. From traditional American fare to exotic international flavors, this city offers a diverse range of delectable dining options. Here are some great places to eat in Indianapolis, which cater to various tastes and budgets.
- Bluebeard Located in the historic Holy Rosary neighborhood, Bluebeard is a farm-to-table restaurant that serves innovative American cuisine using locally-sourced ingredients. With its ever-changing menu, you can enjoy creative dishes such as rabbit agnolotti, seared scallops, and artisanal cheese boards in a charming, literary-themed setting.
- Milktooth Milktooth is a popular brunch spot that has gained national attention for its inventive dishes and laid-back atmosphere. With a focus on unique, globally-inspired flavors, you can indulge in delicious options like the Dutch baby pancake, kimchi fried rice, and sourdough waffles.
- St. Elmo Steak House A true Indianapolis institution, St. Elmo Steak House has been serving classic American steakhouse fare since 1902. Known for its world-famous shrimp cocktail and succulent steaks, this upscale eatery is perfect for special occasions or a night on the town.
- Yats For those craving hearty and affordable Cajun and Creole cuisine, Yats is the place to go. With multiple locations throughout the city, this casual eatery offers a rotating selection of gumbo, étouffée, and jambalaya, as well as vegetarian options.
- Cafe Patachou Cafe Patachou is a local favorite for breakfast and lunch, serving up healthy and sustainable dishes made from scratch. Their menu includes options like omelets, sandwiches, soups, and salads, with an emphasis on locally-sourced and organic ingredients.
- Shapiro’s Delicatessen A beloved Indianapolis institution since 1905, Shapiro’s Delicatessen offers authentic New York-style deli fare. Known for its towering corned beef and pastrami sandwiches, as well as its delicious homemade desserts, Shapiro’s is a must-visit for anyone seeking a taste of the Big Apple in the heart of the Midwest.
- Goose the Market This European-style deli and butcher shop specializes in locally-sourced meats, artisanal cheeses, and gourmet grocery items. In addition to offering a variety of sandwiches, soups, and charcuterie boards, Goose the Market also features a cozy downstairs wine and beer bar for patrons to relax and unwind.
- Tinker Street Tinker Street is a contemporary restaurant and wine bar located near downtown Indianapolis. This cozy eatery offers a diverse selection of small plates, main courses, and desserts, with a focus on seasonal ingredients and innovative flavor combinations.
- Rook Inspired by Asian street food, Rook offers a modern and unique dining experience in the heart of Indianapolis. With a menu that includes dishes like steamed buns, rice bowls, and noodle dishes, this eatery is perfect for adventurous diners looking to explore new flavors.
- Bru Burger Bar Located on the lively Massachusetts Avenue, Bru Burger Bar is a popular spot for gourmet burgers and craft beers. With a wide range of creative burger options, as well as vegetarian and gluten-free choices, there’s something for everyone at this casual, yet upscale eatery.
With so many great places to eat in Indianapolis, there’s no shortage of delicious dining options to explore. Whether you’re in the mood for classic comfort food or seeking out something a little more adventurous, the city’s culinary scene has you covered.
To learn about history of Indianapolis go here.