Interesting facts about Riverside California
Table of Contents
Riverside is a city in southern California in the Inland Empire founded in the late 1800s. Therefore, if you’re passing through the 12th largest city in California, here are some fun facts and stops along the way.
Fun facts about Riverside:
- The famous singer Etta James was a Riverside resident.
- The last two original navel oranges in California are in Riverside CA to this very day.
- Also, Riverside houses the Dixie cup landmark, the largest paper cup structure (which is actually made of concrete).
- The March Air Joint Reserve Base is the oldest operating air force base on the west coast and was founded in 1918.
- The UCR Botanical Gardens in Riverside is home to unusual plants and is 40 acres, with over 4 miles of trails for guests to walk through
- Enlightened, an HBO series, is filmed in the city of Riverside
- The city of Riverside has a large art scene, inspired by Charles Dickens
- Unfortunately, Riverside sits in a “smog belt,” caused primarily by wind patterns that blow wind from the Los Angeles Basin into the Inland Empire.
- Also, the name of the city, Riverside, was inspired by the Santa Ana River. John North and other Eastern travelers wanted to name a city that would be influential in arts, music and culture.
Things to Do in Riverside:
- Castle Park
- A family amusement park for all to enjoy, with carnival attractions, food and shows!
- Information: 3500 Polk Street, Riverside, CA, 92505; phone: (951) 785-3000
- California Citrus State Historic Park
- An outdoor museum representing the culture and history behind the citrus industry that was once thriving in Riverside County.
- Information: 9400 Dufferin Ave, Riverside, CA, 92503; phone: (951) 780-6222
- Mount Rubidoux
- Turned into a city park and a landmark, the mountain is west of Riverside with a historic bridge over its highway.
- Information: 4706 Mount Rubidoux Drive, Riverside, CA, 92501
- Riverside Metropolitan Museum
- A museum dedicated to the rich history and culture of the city of Riverside that includes two landmark homes.
- Information: 3580 Mission Inn Avenue, Riverside, CA, 92501; phone: (951) 826-5273
- Riverside Art Museum
- Located at the Mission Inn District in Riverside, California, this museum has local workshops and classes beyond your typical museum.
- Information: 3425 Mission Inn Avenue, Riverside, CA, 92501; phone: (951) 684-7111
- March Field Air Museum
- An aviation museum with a variety of historical military aircrafts
- Information: 2550 Van Buren Boulevard, March Air Reserve Base, CA, 92518
- UCR/California Museum of Photography
- Both modern and historical, a large exhibition of photography in an off-campus museum.
- Information: 3824 Main Street, Riverside, CA, 92501; phone: (951) 827-4787
- UCR Botanic Gardens
- 40 acres of plant life with thousands of unusual species from across the globe.
- Information: 1 Botanic Gardens Drive, Riverside, CA, 92507; phone: (951) 784-6962