Interesting facts about Modesto California
Table of Contents
Modesto is a city in Stanislaus County, California, and in this article are some fun facts about Modesto and the local area, whether you’re stopping here for a few days or just passing by. On the other hand, in case you need money and are going to Modesto, California click here for more information.
Fun Facts About Modesto:
- Modesto is known for its agricultural staple: Nuts. A peanut is the chosen mascot at Modesto’s local baseball field.
- Another thing is that if someone in Modesto tels you “DOMO”, it actually means “Downtown Modesto”.
- Also, the local donut shop in Modesto is called Mr. T’s Delicate Donut Shop, and it is even more famous than Voodoo’s Donuts in Oregon! Big and proud and their “cronut” is the most popular item on the menu.
- Modesto not only have the largest wine factory in the world, but it has the largest wine manufacturing companying in the world too.
- George Lucas, creator of Star Wars, was born in Modesto. Star Wars fans rejoice!
- The movie “American Grafitti” was about Lucas’ life in Modesto starring Ron Howard and Harrison Ford. However, the film wasn’t actually made in Modesto because of conflicts with the city itself.
- The name Modesto was initially going to be named after William Ralston, the man who financed it. He was too modest so they changed the named to Modesto, and the original slogan (before its current one) was “Nobody’s got Modesto’s goat.”
- Jeremy Renner is another celebrity who came from Modesto and had roles in “The Hurt Locker,” “The Avengers,” “Bourne Legacy,” “The Avengers” and “American Hustle”.
- Finally, between nuts and livestock, Modesto’s agricultural economy brings in around 3 billion dollars annually.
Things to do in Modesto
- Tuolumne River
- This river runs 149 miles through California ending at the San Joaquin Valley. Whitewater rafting runs aplenty.
- Information: (Tuolumne River Regional Park): 1200 Tioga Drive, Modesto, CA, 95354; phone: (209) 577-5200
- McHenry Mansion
- A house built in the 1800s for a local resident at the time, the house is built in a Victorian style and is available for touring.
- Information: 924 15th Street, Modesto, CA, 95354; phone: (209) 549-0428
- McHenry Museum
- A small museum dedicated to the history and culture of Modesto and Stanislaus County.
- Information: 1402 I Street, Modesto, CA, 95354; phone: (209) 577- 5366
- The State Theatre
- A classic styled theater showing independent, foreign and classic films while also holding local concerts and events.
- Information: 1307 J Street, Modesto, CA, 95354; phone: (209) 527-4697
- John Thurman Field
- A small baseball stadium in Modesto home to the local Modesto nut mascot and its minor league baseball team, Modesto Nuts
- Information: 601 Neece Drive, Modesto, CA, 9535; phone: (209) 572-4487