Learn more about Hawthorne California
Hawthorne, California is located in Los Angeles, County, California in the southwestern part of the county. According to the 2010 census the population was 84,293.
Hawthorne was originally founded in 1905 was the “Hawthorne Improvement Company” by two individuals. These people were B.L. Harding and H.D. Lombard. Why is the city named Hawthorne? Well, since the daughter of B.L. Harding shared a July 4th birthday with Nathaniel Hawthorne, they two founders decided to call it Hawthorne. If you visit need a quick loan Hawthorne, California loan just click on the previous link for more information.
The history of Hawthorne is quite interesting. At first, it was a “White’s Only” settlement. These, in the past, were called sundown towns. That meant that by sundown African Americans had to be out of the city, Hawthorne, by sundown.
Some of the major employers of Hawthorne, California include:
- Century Media Records – an independent rock label
- Hawthorne Plaza, shopping center – located at 12000 Hawthorne Blvd.
- OSI Systems, electronics manufacturer – located at 12525 Chadron Ave, Hawthorne, CA 90250 with a phone number of 310) 978-0516
- SpaceX – located at Rocket Rd, Hawthorne, CA 90250 with a phone number of (310) 363-6000
- Tesla Motors design center located at 3203 Jack Northrop Ave, Hawthorne, CA 90250
- Northrop Corporation, which was started in 1939 has a location in Hawthorne, California. It had a major impact during World War II, and it has become a major subcontractor to other aircraft companies. The founder, Jack Northrop, developed unique wings which led to the creation of the stealth bomber, the B-2.
- Mattel, a toy manufacturer, started in Hawthorne in 1945, but in 1991 moved to El Segundo, California.
If you are looking for fun things to do in Hawthorne, California consider checking out these things:
- Star Helicopters –
3670 W 120th St, Hawthorne Municipal Airport, Hawthorne, CA 90250-3245
- The Beach Boys Monument
-3701 W 119th St, Hawthorne, CA 90250-3217
- Hawthorne Museum – Hawthorne Historical Society
12622 Grevillea Ave, Hawthorne, CA 90250-4308
- Hangar 18 Climbing Gym Southbay
4926 W Rosecrans Ave, Hawthorne, CA 90250-6616
According to the US Census Bureau, the city has an area of 6.1 square miles…99% of it being land. If you go north of Hawthorne, you will hit the unincorporated community of Athens, and the city of Gardena, California. Going south you will see the El Camino Village, an unincorporated city, and you will also find the cities of Lawndale and Redondo Beach. In the southwest corner of Hawthorne, you will find Manhattan Beach. El Segundo is to the west of Hawthorne. Del Aire is surrounding by Hawthorne on 3 sides.
Hawthorne, California is just five miles from the Los Angeles International Airport, but don’t let that fool you. Traffic and the congestion of LA county can really take much longer than your typical 5-mile drive if you are not familiar with the area. The zip codes of Hawthorne include 90250 and 90251. The area code is 310, and a portion of northeastern Hawthorne is a 323 area code.
“The 105” (I-105) (as people in California call it) runs along the northern boundary of Hawthorne, and the 405 (I-405) goes along the western part of Hawthorne.
The climate of Hawthorne is generally pleasant and is considered to be like most of Los Angeles. A Mediterranean climate with low amounts of rain, plenty of sunshine, and very mild winters.