San Diego California Facts
San Diego California is a great place to live or visit.
If you are visiting the great state of California and want lots of sunshine and great weather, then San Diego is the place for you! There are various theme parks, beaches, and even military operations! Let’s look at some parts of the great history of San Diego!
- Fan of Tony Hawk? May 29th is Tony Hawk Day in San Diego!
- Did you know there are more avocados produced in San Diego than any other US city?
- There are more farms located in the city of San Diego than in any other city in the US!
- The first person to drive across the Coronado bridge in 1969 was a former actor and President, Ronald Reagan!
- “The Munchkin Houses” was a housing district in La Jolla. This area got its nickname because many of the residents played munchkins in the Wizard of Oz!
- The first panda born in the US was born at the San Diego Zoo!
- San Diego imports about 80-90% of its water supply!
- The Hotel Del Coronado is the largest wooden structure in the US!
- San Diego used to be the Capital of the World for one particular item-TUNA! This was between the 1930’s-1970’s.
- WD-40 was actually invented in the beautiful city of San Diego in the year 1953.
- San Diego is the second largest city in California, and it is also the eighth largest city in all of the US.
There are also some incredible destinations in San Diego!
- Balboa Park
- A huge 1200-acre park that contains walkways, gardens, and various historical landmarks. The San Diego zoo is also located in this park.
- Contact-(619) 239-0512 1549 El Prado San Diego, CA 92101
- San Diego Zoo
- The zoo is known for its conservation efforts and research. It is home of over 650 different species of animals!
- Contact-(619) 231-1515 2920 Zoo Dr. San Diego, CA 92101
- Sea World
- SeaWorld hosts aquatic life from all over the globe. They have everything from small sea horses all the way up to huge orca whales!
- Contact-(616)222-4732 500 Sea World Dr. San Diego, CA 92109
- Hotel del Coronado
- This historic hotel can be seen in many movies and television shows! It is a beautiful Victorian style building.
- Contact-(619) 435-6611 1500 Orange Ave, Coronado, CA 92118
- Torrey Pines State Natural Reserve
- This 2000-acre park has both the flora and fauna of San Diego right within its borders! It has 8 different trails you can choose from with varying difficulty and scenery.
- Contact-(619) 435-6611 12600 N Torrey Pines Rd. La Jolla, CA 92037