Things to do in Bakersfield California
Bakersfield is a city in Kern County and is the 9th most populated city in California. Bakersfield’s more economic areas of growth are in agriculture and the oil industry. Other industries here include food production/processing, manufacturing, petroleum, mining, and aerospace. Bakersfield even has its own genre of music known as the “Bakersfield sound”.
Here are some interesting facts and sights to see if you’re passing through. Furthermore, if you need money in Bakersfield, California TNL Car Title loans is here to help.
Interesting Facts About Bakersfield:
- The oil capital of the entire U.S. is in Bakersfield County, which means that it beats Texas for the amount of oil it harvests.
- The specialty of Bakersfield is pickled tongue.
- The Bakersfield Fair has all the fried foods you could ever ask for and another odd food combo: Kool-Aid pickles.
- Kern County also hosts the Scottish Games annually, complete with haggis and kilts
- The California Living Museum, otherwise known as CALM is home to the native species of flora and fauna in California.
- Every year the Kern County Basque Festival is hosted. They’re known for their roast lamb and handball tournaments
- Another annual festival worth seeing is Kern County’s Nut Festival
- Hart Park is home to a myriad of peacocks who walk freely around the park.
- Kern County reopened to NASCAR and has a new motor speedway for its California fans
Things to Do in Bakersfield:
- California Living Museum
- A zoo themed around California’s native plants and wildlife.
- Information: Alfred Harrell Highway, Bakersfield, CA, 93306; phone: (661) 872-2256
- Kern County Museum
- A museum that showcases all things local to the county including a Pioneer Village
- Information: 3801 Chester Ave, Bakersfield, CA, 93301
- Bakersfield Museum of Art
- This museum has permanent art exhibits from regional artists as well as traveling art exhibits.
- Information: 1930 R Street, Bakersfield, CA, 93301
- Buena Vista Museum of History & Natural Science
- Interactive and hands-on displays that highlights the earth sciences; geology, paleontology, and archeology.
- Information: 2018 Chester Ave, Bakersfield, CA, 93306; phone: (661) 324-6350
- Hart Memorial Park
- A 370-acre park with two lakes for taking the dogs out to play and plenty of walking trails.
- Information: Kern County, Bakersfield
- Beale Park
- The first park to be established in Bakersfield, this park has a local flock of parakeets that have made Beale Park their home.
- Information: 500 Oleander Ave, Bakersfield, CA, 93304