Learn more about San Jose
San Jose has the third largest population in California. Known as the tech industry of California, San Jose has seen the highs and lows of California’s economy, from its establishment in the 1700s to today. It was a huge agricultural city to have a huge housing boom for soldiers post World War II. Considered a melting pot of cities, the capital of Silicon Valley has a diverse cultural and political background and is infamous for its high cost of living. While you’re here, enjoy San Jose’s diversity in its city and activities. Below are some fun facts about San Jose and local attractions.
Fun Facts About San Jose:
- The voice for Mario and Luigi, Charles Martinet, is a San Jose local.
- Supposedly, San Jose is California’s oldest establishment, first settling as a farming community.
- The world’s largest rat is in San Jose— a 30 foot tall Chuck E Cheese Statue.
- San Jose has the highest household median income in the United States.
- The largest Monopoly board in the world is in one of San Jose’s local parks, spanning 30 square feet.
- Actor Kurtwood Smith attended San Jose State University in the 1960s.
- One of the most educated cities in the US, at least half of San Jose’s adult population has a college degree.
- A landmark in San Jose called the Winchester Mystery House is said to have 160 rooms, as the homeowner was told by a psychic that she would die if construction of the house discontinued.
- San Jose earned 3rd place in being the safest city in America, with low criminal activity.
- San Jose car title loans can be obtained by calling the Net Lender in San Jose.
San Jose Attractions :
- Winchester Mystery House
An odd house with more than $5 million worth of construction and remodeling done by Sarah Winchester, the widow of gun tycoon William Wirt Winchester
Information: 525 S Winchester Blvd, San Jose, CA, 95128; phone: (408) 247-2101
Sunol Regional WildernessAlmost 7,000 acres of beautiful wilderness for camping, hiking, and trailblazing. Just east of San Francisco.
Information: 1895 Geary Road, Sunol, CA, 94586; (510) 544-3249
- The Tech Museum of Innovation
A museum with tech-savvy exhibits for all ages and an IMAX theater attached to it. Also called The Tech.
Information: 201 S Market Street, San Jose, CA, 95113; phone: (408) 294-8324
A summit east of Fremont for hiking in Mission Peak’s Regional Preserve.
Information: Alameda County, CA
- Alum Rock Park
The first park in California, Alum Rock Park has mineral springs, hiking, biking trails, and picnic spots.
Information: 15350 Penitencia Creek Road, San Jose, CA, 95127; phone: (408) 259-5477
- Rosicrucian Egyptian Museum
A museum containing the most Egyptian artifacts on the west coast. Exhibits with Egyptian customs and traditions.
Information: 1660 Park Avenue, San Jose, CA, 95191; phone: (408) 947-3635